Are tough times getting you down?
10 ways to deal with stress and anxiety by Jane Pavich, LCSW
1. Eat a healthy, well-balanced diet. Your body particularly needs to be nurtured with healthy food during stressful times.
2. Sleep 7-8 hours every night. I know…that can be easier said than done. But, sleep deprivation can lead to depression. If you struggle to go to sleep, be sure to have a relaxing ritual before going to bed, like reading or taking a hot bath. Avoid eating, drinking alcohol or watching television shortly before bed.
3. Exercise regularly. If you have never been interested in exercise, find something you enjoy that gets you moving.
4. Get out in nature. Walk on the beach. Take a bike ride. Walk your dog. Or, just sit in the sun during your lunchtime.
5. Volunteer. You often get back more than you give when you volunteer.
6. Laugh. Watch a funny movie, hang out with light-hearted friends, and read the comics!
7. Know that God is still in charge, even during tough times. Pray and meditate.
8. Say out loud the thought that is creating your fears. You may find that the fear is quite unlikely or irrational.
9. Use the words of the Serenity Prayer to “accept the things you cannot change” and “change the things you can.”
10. Challenge your paradigm of life. Maybe it is time to accept a different viewpoint of what is important in your life.